Skip to main content

We’re all in this together

As I sit here writing and preparing for tomorrow's lesson, I am nowhere near as ready for the switch to a class that de-emphasizes grades as I thought I would be two weeks ago. I idealistically thought my time over break could be spent resting, spending quality time with family AND recreating the structure of my course. Easy enough, right? Instead, I spent time with my family and resting while thinking about the restructuring of my course. At first, I thought my time reflecting on the restructuring and the resulting lack of pen-to-paper (or finger-to-keyboard) work was a failure. Upon further reflection tonight, I realize the work is never going to be done and that fact is a key characteristic of this transition.

Control over a classroom and the content covered is something I have strived to accomplish since I started teaching 11 years ago. The idea of a well-written lesson plan and extensive knowledge of content and pedagogy was the goal of my pre-service teaching program. I can still recall my first lesson plan with learning objectives, activities, pre- and post-assessments, and a multi-page anticipated classroom discussion. Yes, I had to write a script of anticipated student responses to my questions. It was my first and last attempt at being a screenwriter. It was also the the first and last lesson plan to include this feature.

I share the above story to give you insight into what influenced my choices as a young teacher. As a more experienced teacher, I realize I do not need to have the control or foresight seen in that initial lesson plan. I want the classroom to be a place where students take ownership of their learning. I also want to model for my students the learning and risk-taking I expect out of them. Modeling of that behavior comes from being honest with students about what a teacher actual is. A teacher is someone who never stops learning about their content. A teacher is someone who never stops questioning what they teach and the pedagogical choices they make. The learning and questioning is not due to a lack of knowledge or confidence but the result of acknowledging teachers are always students.

As I start my journey tomorrow, I am going to be honest with my students about this upcoming classroom experience. I am changing the classroom structure because I believe it is what is best for their learning. I do not have all the answers for how this new process will work. I am okay with learning as I go because I want them to do the same. There may be bumps along the road, but it is a road worth traveling. And the best part of our travels will be that we’re all in this together.




Comments

  1. Can't wait to hear more about it Adam! Be prepared for it not to follow the exact script you wrote out years ago, but as you said "learning as (you) go".

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I'm a second semester senior

As I enter my 7th year teaching second semester seniors, I am strongly considering a drastic change to my classroom structure to engage students through the remainder of the academic year. The decision and subsequent changes for my students may cause discomfort initially and a desire to go back to the way things were. However, as with most important things, if an action is worth taking it most likely is going to be difficult. My AP Environmental Science students will be going from a more traditional course with grades determined by points earned on summative assessments to a class where no points are earned and all grades will be earned via the accumulation of evidence of learning and making a grade claim based on that evidence. The first semester of this 2017-2018 school year saw students succeed in a classroom where grades were earned on based on summative assessment scores. Students could retake those assessments to earn more points to increase their percentage and accompanying